The Department of Communication and Media (C&M) is an internationally-recognized center for interdisciplinary education, research, and theory development. The department's program areas include writing for new media environments, digital rhetoric, human-computer interaction, graphic design in print and digital media, computer-mediated communication, and media studies.
The variety of academic programs offered by C&M provides an interdisciplinary approach to the study of how people create and share meaning. The department offers undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and certificates.
Graduates of all programs have found a strong demand for persons trained in using, analyzing, and creating new communications technologies. Our students and faculty also participate in a variety of professional organizations and conferences specific to their research and application interests. Among these are the following:
- International Game Developers' Association (IGDA)
- Association of Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group in Computer-Human Interactions (ACM-SIGCHI)
- Rhetoric Society of America (RSA)
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC)
- The Visual Literacy Association (VLA)
- AIGA, the professional association for design
- The Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- Annual Meetings of the National and International Communication Associations (NCA, ICA)
Participation in these and other professional organizations is an integral part of study at Rensselaer. Students are also active in Rensselaer's Graphics Club and the Jay R. Gould Student Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication.